Saturday, June 25, 2011

Taipei 101

Went to Taipei last weekend with my mom and sister.

But some days before that, Cebu Pacific had a zero-fare sale. And yes, Jeri and I made a sale. We are going to shop seriously in Bangkok! =)

Anyway, back to the Taiwan experience.

Well, as expected it was a Cebu Pac sale that time. Only me, my sis and my mom were game to go to Taiwan. Despite some discouragements of one officemate that there's nothing to do in Taipei, my heart still longs to see that place (naks!). I was so curious because of the plugs of the show, "Fun Taiwan" and when I read it in MEGA magazine. And hello, super mura lang ng fare.


Janet, the host of Discovery Travel and Living's "Fun Taiwan."
She's cute but I didn't watch her show. I find her OA as a host.

We booked in advance (ganun talaga pag sale at Cebu pac eh).

Months later, we found out there were problems: my mom's passport was expired and a Taiwanese visa was needed.

Thanks to Teleserv, I was so sure that the passport problem would surely be solved.

Now the visa.

We went to the Taiwan Embassy in RCBC Makati. Wow, puro OFWs. =) We were too early (but some were even earlier!) but too bad we weren't equipped with the complete requirements needed (the web wasn't updated) so we didn't have a choice but to go back. Ang daming requirements na kailangan!

On our second attempt, we have all the papers already and we just went back after three days for the visa. Smooth. Yun nga lang, we had to get a number again. And wait for our names to be called. It's much faster this time. And it feels so good to have a visa finally. Parang, "Wow, I worked hard for this." hehe.

Too bad its valid only for a week.

My mom has a US visa already so she was exempted to get a Taiwanese visa. e just had to print a sort of authorization letter that the Taiwan Embassy emailed (after we emailed her US Visa information) that she's allowed to go to Taiwan.

Aside from researching through the net for all the must do's, must eat, must visit, etc, some of my Facebook friends had just been to Taiwan too. So I sort of have a background of what to expect already.

I know the bus line we need to reach our hotel, the Ay Chung rice noodles, the Hello Kitty Cafe, the Sulfur Hot Springs, etc. We didn't get to do all that, I told you, kulang sa time. =(

And the exchange rate was 1US$ = 24 NTD. In Manila, the conversion I had was 1US$ = Php45!  So we were lost on how to compute for the shopping. We asked ourselves, is this really cheap or expensive ("Should I just double the price--because of the exchange rate!?").

Hayy, regret this. Super bitin tuloy ako sa shopping. I have $200 of unexchanged bills pa afrerwards because of my fear of the conversion. Parang lugi kasi. But sana I just gave in and satisfied my retail desires.



CEBU PACIFIC'S WHEELCHAIR

Can I just say that I love the wheelchair service of Cebu Pacific? It's like we had our private butler (hehe). Nah, I mean, we were that spoiled. No hassles in falling in (long) lines. I hate falling in line kasi. And he was the one who did all that me and my sister was supposed to do: push the wheelchair, pay the fees (we just gave him the payment), opened the check in counter (we were first obviousle so we didn't have to fall in line!) , passed through the diplomat/VIP lane at the Immigration (to avoid the lines again!) and was the first to board the plane. =) Oh, after check in, we ate first, he left us at the mini foodcourt then went back again. Hayy, he deserved the tips we gave him.

My sister was supposed to be denied to leave by the girl (who looks like Jessica Soho) at the Immigration since she was a government employee. She wrote "UP Professor" kasi. Basta katakot that experience and what a hassle if ever we don't push through with our short, wholesome, family-themed weekend trip. But the Cebu Pac man who was pushing my mom's wheelchair assured and supported us, "Pakiusapan nyo na lang..." "Mabait yan..." and even told me , "Back-up-an nyo ma'am..." when she was talking to my sister again. And yes, her strict heart finally melted and she suggested my sis write down another occupation. Good thing my sister was a consultant too. Hayy. Thank God! Praise God!



...and here are the other Taipei pics.

At our hotel, Relite (lilai) Hotel. Cheap but very accessible. It's only a walk away from the train and bus station. Decent breakfast and nice room.


Relite Hotel
Check agoda.com for a good list (and honest reviews) of other international hotels

The sinple breakfast on our Day Two. The soy milk and eggs were yummy.

No money. Next time nalang earrings and bags!

At Ximen on our last day. I love this place!

Their MRT is really very practical and efficient.
The MRT Day Pass, if returned within 3 days, entitles you to a refund

I'll post the other pics next time. Sun broadband is slow today and I hate waiting. =s

No comments:

Post a Comment